About.com Interior Decorating: What's Hot Now

Monday, January 12, 2009

Faux Finishes, Venetian Plaster and Your Health

Molds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.

Can mold cause health problems?
Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold. Research on mold and health effects is ongoing. This brochure provides a brief overview; it does not describe all potential health effects related to mold exposure. For more detailed information consult a health professional. You may also wish to consult your state or local health department.

How do I get rid of mold?

Molds gradually destroy the things they grow on. You can prevent damage to your home and furnishings, save money, and avoid potential health problems by controlling moisture and eliminating mold growth
It is impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores indoors; some mold spores will be found floating through the air and in house dust. The mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present. Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors. If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem. If you clean up the mold, but don't fix the water problem, then, most likely, the mold problem will come back.

Moisture and Mold Prevention and Control Tips
Actions that will help to reduce humidity
· Vent appliances that produce moisture, such as clothes dryers, stoves, and kerosene heaters to the outside where possible. (Combustion appliances such as stoves and kerosene heaters produce water vapor and will increase the humidity unless vented to the outside.)
· Use air conditioners and/or de-humidifiers when needed.
¨ Run the bathroom fan or open the window when showering. Use exhaust fans or open windows whenever cooking, running the dishwasher or dishwashing, etc.

Actions that will help prevent condensation
· Increase ventilation or air movement by opening doors and/or windows, when practical. Use fans as needed.
· Cover cold surfaces, such as cold water pipes, with insulation.
· Increase air temperature.
· Use of lime-based venetian plaster on walls and ceilings

Lime Paint and Lime Venetian Based Plasters are mold resistant
· Use a lime-based plaster over existing paper based wallboard. Newer wallboard with fiberglass covering versus the paper will not harbor molds since it’s non-organic, but removal and replacement in existing structures can be costly.
¨ An alternative would be to go over existing wallboard with a lime-based plaster to permanently inhibit mold and mildew growth.

Asthmatics and people with respiratory problems or impaired immune systems would be advised to consider lime-based plasters as a natural preventative to inhibit mold and mildew infestations.

Lime venetian plaster is a completely natural product used to create interior and exterior finishes. With its low embodied energy compared to Portland cement and entirely zero VOC properties; it is an excellent environmentally friendly choice to enhance the health and beauty of modern and historical buildings alike.

Lime plaster produces a breathable and elastic surface which helps reduce the risk of mold development and dry rot. Made essentially from calcium hydroxide and sand, it slowly turns into limestone when exposed to free carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Mold growing outdoors on firewood. Molds come in many colors; both white and black molds are shown here.
Why is mold growing in my home?
Magnified mold spores
Condensation on the inside of a windowpane.
Excerpted from the E.P.A.
geovisit(); www.venetianplasterdecor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment